Curry and Thompson Make USA MNT Training Camp Roster
USA Basketball announced their full men’s training camp roster via Twitter today. As of now, the roster will consist of 19 players including our very own “Splash Brothers”. They’ve selected an impressive crop of guards to attend the training camp, which will make it difficult for both Steph Curry and Klay Thompson to make the final roster.
Curry has worked hard to establish himself and has become one of the premiere players in the NBA, while Thompson is quickly on the rise and well on his way to becoming an elite shooting guard in this league. Team USA could really use both of the “Splash Brothers”, especially with the emphasis on shooting in international play. Coach Mike Krzyzewski will have a hard time finding a better shooter than Curry and Thompson.
The players will be participating from July 28 to August 1 in the USA National Team training camp in Las Vegas, Nevada. The Warriors are the only team to have two players on the training camp roster. Curry was a member of the 2010 USA World Championship team that finished with a gold medal. Klay Thompson also has some experience under his belt, he participated in the 2013 USA Men’s National Team mini-camp. With Russell Westbrook pulling out and John Wall currently left off, Thompson’s opportunity to represent Team USA is looking good.
Spain is hosting the FIBA World Cup which will take place August 30 to September 14. With 24 countries competing, USA has been placed in Group C. USA will first compete on August 30th against Finland then will play Turkey, New Zealand, the Dominican Republic, and Ukraine in that order. This is the preliminary round in which each country will play another once. The United States enters the tournament as the clear favorite, but recent history has shown that there will be plenty of teams aiming to shock the Americans.
Check out the whole 19 man roster below.
2014 USA Basketball Men’s National Team:
Player / Position / Current Team
- Bradley Beal / G /Washington Wizards
- DeMarcus Cousins / C / Sacramento Kings
- Stephen Curry / G / Golden State Warriors
- Anthony Davis / F/C / New Orleans Pelicans
- DeMar DeRozan / G / Toronto Raptors
- Andre Drummond / C / Detroit Pistons
- Kevin Durant / G / Oklahoma City Thunder
- Kenneth Faried / F / Denver Nuggets
- Paul George / G / Indiana Pacers
- Blake Griffin / F / Los Angeles Clippers
- James Harden / G / Houston Rockets
- Gordon Hayward / F / Utah Jazz
- Kyrie Irving / G / Cleveland Cavaliers
- Kyle Korver / G/F / Atlanta Hawks
- Damian Lillard / G / Portland Trail Blazers
- Kevin Love / F / Minnesota Timberwolves
- Derrick Rose / G / Chicago Bulls
- Chandler Parsons / F / Dallas Mavericks
- Klay Thompson / G / Golden State Warriors